Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

baby's first dressage test


I cannot hardly stand myself. The only horse I've ever bred, the 2nd horse I've ever owned, she's out of my 1st horse (who is still very alive, and finally feeling better since her recent recurrent-injury). Dezdemona is a labor of love. She's my only "child" and like all parents, you prepare as best you can, play with the hand you are dealt and move forward. I'm pretty darn okay with the hand I happened to be dealt. I have an 85% cooperative 3-year-old filly, whom I had the opportunity to help bring into the world, so she and I have bonded since she hit the ground. She's been the friendliest, most forgiving, loving horse, I've ever met and I'm so happy that she's mine.

 Our first show under saddle was extremely nerve racking for me. I didn't have enough time to lunge her (not that she really needs it, it's more of a learning/repetition tool than to get her "naughties" out), so I simply hopped on and started warming up.



All things considered, we received a 63% for Intro Level - Test A and won 2nd place. The things that need improvement...

  • steadier connection in the bridle (and steering)
  • listening to the aids (leg aids in particular; and creating a more forward energy, especially in walk [she felt like she was gonna stop at any moment x.x])
  • better balance
  • free walk (she needs to learn to stretch forward & downward and reach for the contact)
All-in-all, those things will improve anyway as she matures. (but that still won't stop me from buying a few kindle books to help me understand how to make learning easier for her ;D)

3 comments:

  1. She was a super-star!

    Which books did you get? I need a refresher course, it's been over 10 years since I started a baby...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Moving Freely Forward" by Krister Swartz - a handbook for training level dressage

      "Right from the Start" by Michael Schaffer - create a sane, soft, well-balanced horse

      Delete
    2. both books are less than $10 for kindle

      Delete